Saturday, July 11, 2009

Decision Time



As I approach the six-month mark on my raw food journey, I have started to evaluate my progress once again. While I have been very happy with my plan, I have to acknowledge other people are reporting much better results in the same amount of time. While I generally don't compare myself to others, it has been discouraging to realize that many on this path are achieving much more dramatic results. There are some other hard facts that I do need to address that are pushing me to make some changes.

  • I have not dropped as much weight as I had expected or hoped.
  • My energy levels still are not as consistently high as I would like.
  • My blood sugars have been slowly creeping higher.

While I could live with my slow progress over the first two issues, I can not ignore the last one. To date, I am the only person in my family who has not been diagnosed with diabetes and I fully intend to maintain that status. My doctor is not concerned at this point, but my fasting blood sugars have crept into the 110-120 range....up from 90-100 last November.

Before leaving on vacation, I was not aware of my blood sugar situation and had fully intended to try Dr. Doug Graham's 80-10-10 diet when I came home. Those who use his plan eat only fruits, which gives one 80% carbohydrates, 10% protein, and 10% fats. I had tried this plan once before a couple of years ago and dropped 6 lbs. in the first few days, and nothing again for the remaining 2 weeks. During this time, I was badgered constantly by a "coach" about eating more calories. The coaching became rather abusive and I struggled to eat 1200 calories a day. I dropped the program and immediately gained all the weight back in short order.

This time I thought that reading the doctor's book and getting the facts might change the outcome. Again, I saw others having great success with this program and figured I must have been doing something wrong. Reading the book and following it properly should bring a much faster weight loss.

But now that I have tuned into the blood sugar concern, I am reluctant to eat only fruits. Dr. Graham blames excess fat in the diet for diabetes and claims that an all-fruit diet will lower blood sugars to normal levels. I am not convinced. I also know that the diet is so very restrictive. It certainly can not be maintained by average humans for indefinite periods of time. While my plan isn't a rapid weight loss plan, I have been able to maintain it for a long period of time.

So the question remained as to what to do. Should I just do my own plan and cut down or eliminate the fruit? Move to low-glycemic fruits only? Find another solution?

A couple of months ago I saw Dr. Gabriel Cousens' documentary Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days. The subjects of the film took weight off quickly as well as lowered their blood sugars and medications. The program restricts fruit in the first phase of his plan and then only adds back low-glycemic fruits for a maintenance plan. He advocates using high-glycemic fruits only occasionally. Dr. Cousens' plan also encourages a lot of healthy greens, nuts and seeds. It is much closer to what I have been doing but without all the fruit.

This approach seems to fit with what I deem to be good common sense and I have decided to transition over to it. In just the first couple of days of cutting back on the amount of fruits I have been eating, my blood sugars have already started to drop. But things are certainly out of synch with me right now as I have had incredible cravings. Still I am going to try this plan and see how it goes over the next couple of months. I know that I can always return to my own plan and just reduce the fruit if I need to, but if I see good progress, I will be sticking with Dr. Cousens.

I am going to halt my daily food reports at this point. Some of the recipes I will be using from now on are from Dr. Cousens and are more complex. It wouldn't be appropriate to list them here. However, if anyone has questions or comments about what I am doing, feel free to drop me a message at gracefulgarden@insight.rr.com. I would love to hear what other people have to say about this too...especially if you have done this program.

Be well!

4 comments:

Doll Creelman-Migliaccio said...

Hi Karen, I really enjoy reading your blog and appreciate your openness and honesty. I've been all over the map with my own journey in the last few months, with resulting weight gain. Very frustrating. I'll be interested in reading how you make out on the next leg of your journey.

Love and peace,
Doll

Karen Schlesinger said...

Hi Doll! The one thing I can tell you is that eventually you will find what works. You'll commit to it and it will be a done deal. I know how frustrating it can be but we are still eating better than 99% of the general population! There is something to be said for that! Hang in there, Lady. We'll get there!

Blessings,
Karen

Friko said...

Just one thing, Karen. Are you absolutely sure that you are experimenting with these extreme diets under medical supervision? I really don't mean to discourage you. If you feel well that's good, but don't do anything silly, please.
Good luck.

Karen Schlesinger said...

Hi Friko!
Thank you for your concern! I am sure that to most people this does look extreme, but it is a very natural diet and my health and blood work have proven the results. My doctor is fully aware of what I am doing and is very pleased with this. She admits she doesn't know how or why it works, but it does!

The new plan was designed by a medical doctor here in the US that has worked with thousands of patients and has written several papers and books on the success of the program.

Trust me, I have been studying about eating raw foods for a long time now. There are people that are far more "extreme" than I am. What is extreme to me are the liquid diets, the diet pills, the 600 calorie diets, and all the other things that the weight loss industry tries to sell us. This is real food, organic, raw and highly nutritious.

Again, thank you for your concern, Friko. It's nice to know you care.