Saturday, October 31, 2009

Matt & Angela


This past Monday evening I had the rare privilege of meeting two of my favorite raw food gurus: Matt Monarch and Angela Stokes-Monarch. I have followed the both of them for almost 2 years now and seeing them in the flesh felt to me like seeing old friends again. Of course, they didn't exactly have the same reaction! I knew them...shouldn't they know me?!!!

When I first started talking about going raw, my daughter bought Matt's book Raw Spirit for me. She picked his book because he talked so much about what it was like getting started. The book really prepared me for my journey by letting me know a lot of what I later experienced. I also liked Matt's theory that as long as you are eating raw, your body will eventually find its own balance and you will eat less.

Shortly after reading Matt's book and deciding to move forward in search of other raw foodies who had achieved what I wanted to do....namely lose weight, I found Angela Stokes' blog. I immediately became a huge fan of hers. I loved her down-to-earth approach and the fact that she published what she ate every single day. She has written several books that I have found extremely helpful, namely her latest, Raw Emotions.

When I first started following Matt and Angela, I wondered why Angela kept talking about Matt. Finally I realized that she and Matt were in a relationship. Well now they are newlyweds and touring the United States together...sharing their own experiences and opinions on the raw food lifestyle.

These two are truly hard-core raw foodists. They have years of experience being raw and are relentless in their pursuit of perfect health. While I am not ready for everything they do, I have come a long way because of them. I am very grateful to have had a chance to meet them and speak with them personally. I came away from the evening with the happy feeling that I am on the right path and that I am not alone. Even my husband was inspired by them and he is not an easy sale!

4 comments:

Nance said...

I think that any transition can be made easier with support, regardless of what that transition might be. We humans are by nature a social creature. We seek like-minded companions to ease our way and make our path more comfortable. I'm glad that you were able to make a more personal connection with two raw food pioneers who can continue to be a guiding light for you on your journey.

Karen Schlesinger said...

Thank you, Nance. There are many transitions going on right now and your comment made me realize that I need a lot of support for the rest of my life.

Deb xoxo said...

Wow what an inspiring testimonial to eating raw. I really enjoyed meeting you and your hubby at Matt and Angela's event.

Hopefully the raw and natural community can grow and blossom in this area as there are so many people suffering as you did who have no idea their conditions are related to diet.

Karen Schlesinger said...

Debra! It was so nice to meet you too. I hope you are encouraged by our little community. We need to stick together! Hope to see you again at one of the Raw Meetup events.