Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Energy Surges


The past several days have revealed a new level of energy for me. I have done things that I have not been able to do for a few years now...mow the lawn, walk for 3 miles, be on my feet for longer than 30 minutes! Of course it has all caught up with me now and I am feeling a little tired and sore, but I have been thrilled with my ability to do things again. The idea of being able to participate in life has really pushed me to stay active now. My mother used to say that staying active is what helped her stay young for so long. I think she had it right.

I have also been doing some decluttering of my mother's things. It is hard to think about moving forward with my life with all her worldly possessions weighing me down. It has been an arduous task sorting through her 93 years of stuff...she never threw anything away. A lot of it can be tossed easily, but some of it needs to be gone through very carefully. As the family genealogist, I want to be sure to preserve things that will enrich our family's story.

With all this new activity and the decluttering, it is not surprising that I have dropped another couple of pounds. There is plenty of evidence that exercise helps take off excess weight, but what a lot of people don't understand is how eliminating clutter can help shed the pounds too. Our "stuff" is just another form of stored energy and we feel so much lighter when we let it go. I know I will feel much better when I have completed the distribution of my mother's things. And sorting through it all is just as hard as a good workout!

So here is what I had:

On Sunday:
  • Breakfast: Green smoothie with mango, orange, banana and Swiss chard.
  • Lunch: Leftover Asian salad with kelp noodles.
  • Supper: Mediterranean Salad
On Monday:

  • Breakfast: Green smoothie with grapes, cherries, apple, and spinach.
  • Lunch: A bowl of sauerkraut and a handful of cashews.
  • Supper: Avocado, corn, tomato, cilantro, garlic powder, Bragg's Aminos, and dulse all mashed together and rolled into a couple of collard leaves.
On Tuesday:

  • Breakfast: Green smoothie with apples, grapes, strawberries and collards.
  • Lunch: Power balls.
  • Supper: Broccoli/Bok Choy Salad
  • Snack: Raw "popcorn." That's a half a head of cauliflower rolled in sea salt, cayenne pepper and garlic powder. (I ate it raw, but next time I'm going to try it dehydrated.)

No comments: