Monday, June 29, 2009

So Happy To Be Home!


Well, I am back from vacation. It has taken me a little while to get back to writing here...so many other priorities were begging for attention. It was a relatively good trip, and while I did stray from my 100% raw plan, I think I did very well considering the circumstances.





Despite the gang of carnivores that surrounded me high in the Rockies, I maintained my raw diet until the very end when the temptation to eat something else finally overtook me. I was completely overwhelmed every time I opened the refrigerator door in our cabin and had to pull my greens out from between the cases of beer, margarita mix, queso dips, meat, cheese, and everything else I no longer eat. It was pretty challenging. Out of a group of 10, I was the only one who had any interest in eating a healthy meal. I made big salads every night as my contribution to the evening meals, and everyone seemed to appreciate them, but maybe they were just being polite. Nevertheless, I pursued my own path the best I could and dropped another 5 lbs. in the process.



Once again, the importance of staying focused on what I am doing for my own health has been proven to me. The minute I started eyeing something the rest of the group was eating, my downfall began. The desire to fit in and be like everyone else is a powerful rip tide. Just like the whitewater rafters on the Poudre River, it was an illusion thinking I would have any control over my situation once I got into the raft with the rest of the group. Fortunately I only dipped a toe into the river and didn't attempt the full ride. My occasional bites of junk foods only confirmed my conviction to maintain the raw course.


I will get back to posting my meals in the days to come. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am back and will be sharing some fresh insights with you in the near future. In the meantime, enjoy a little bit of the Poudre River Canyon in the Rocky Mountains.


Photos from top:
1) Someone who is so happy to see me home again.
2) View of one of many peaks along the Poudre Canyon Highway.
3) The raging Poudre River near The Narrows.
4) Cache la Poudre River.
5) Our cabin.
6) View from the back of our cabin.

1 comment:

Friko said...

Welcome back. Stunning scenery.
Good on you for resisting temptation - can't be easy.