Tuesday, May 26, 2009

100th Monkey

According to Ken Keyes Jr.'s , Hundredth Monkey theory, social and cultural change can happen on a universal scale once the "100th monkey" has learned something new.

I have personally observed this and seen efforts by gurus and educators to cause this reaction. I remember hearing a long time ago that it was the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's goal to have one million people doing Transcendental Meditation. He did manage to reach the 5 million mark and far more people are meditating today than 20 or 30 years ago. I don't know what his true purpose for this was or if it was achieved or not.

None the less, I have my own theory. Instead of 100 monkeys all learning to pick sweet potatoes out of the sand and wash them before eating, I think my having reached over 100 days of eating 100% raw has had a fundamental shift on my friends and family. My husband is definitely striving towards a raw, vegan diet and my daughter cooked a vegan meal last night for herself. Other friends have been reporting that they are much more aware of what they are eating now too. Some have eliminated meat, others are eating lots more fresh fruits and vegetables, one has given up coffee, and another has had conversations with her family about going vegetarian.

If I have had any influence on these people, I am very happy about it! If I can make that kind of difference for the people in my life that I love, then I am truly humbled. If what I am doing helps someone else eat a healthier diet, then I am thrilled.

Maybe if enough of us continue to eat healthier foods, then someday maybe a lot more people will eat fresh organic produce and reclaim their health. Maybe we can heal ourselves and the planet. If one person can make a difference in the lives of others like this, just think of what else we can do!

On Monday I had:
  • Breakfast: Muesli with cashews, pecans, sunflower and chia seeds, coconut flakes, goji berries, apple and banana with almond milk.
  • Lunch: Citrus Avocado Salad with arugula, mache, oranges, avocado and the usual dressing of lemon juice, Dijon mustard, agave nectar and olive oil.
  • Supper: A salad of chopped bok choy, tomatoes, celery, fennel, red bell pepper with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
On Tuesday I had:

  • Breakfast: Green smoothie with mango, orange, banana, mint, and spinach.
  • Lunch: Leftover salad from Monday night.
  • Supper: A salad of cucumbers, red onion, red bell pepper, arame, Celtic sea salt, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
  • Snack: A small handful of cashews.

Photos: Top: Gelada monkeys of Ethiopia, courtesy of National Geographic. Bottom: Cucumber-Arame Salad, adapted from Kevin Gianni' recipe.

1 comment:

Kamal S. Prasad said...

Dear Karen,

I found this post while preparing for a presentation on animal agriculture and climate change. I was actually looking for images related to the 100th monkey theory and saw that this post talking positively about a vegan diet. I want to say kudos to you and your supportive family on making the switch. The planet, your body and future generations will benefit from your decision.

THANK YOU!