Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Raw-luck Evening


I went to the local raw-luck tonight. It was a hot day and it seems most of us had the same idea...bring some cool greens. Someone brought some raw coconut macaroons that I could have just sat, smiled, listened to others talk, and quietly put away every single one on the plate! I did restrain myself and saved some for the rest of the group.

My friend Diana was there tonight. She and I go back 15 years and I am so happy to have her along for this raw ride. She is quite enthusiastic about improving her health and suggested that we go up to Michigan to the Creative Health Institute together. Of course she wants to do this in July or August, but I already have a couple of trips planned for those months and am not sure I want to commit to the expenditure. There is no doubt in my mind that the trip would prove well worth the time and money, but is it the best use of resources when my daughter is scraping every dime together to pay for her education? We'll see what miracles happen.

Here is a recipe that I dreamed up a couple of days ago and took to the raw-luck this evening. I can't seem to get enough of it.

Bok Choy/Broccoli Salad

2 bunches baby bok choy, chopped
2 bunches baby broccoli, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/3 Vidalia onion, chopped
1-2 tomatoes, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/3 cup pine nuts

Mix together in a large salad bowl.

Dressing:
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 small clove garlic, pressed
2 limes, juiced
1T. apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Whisk all dressing ingredients together and add any other desired herbs or spices such as basil, sage, rosemary, etc. Celtic sea salt and pepper can be added to taste. Pour over vegetables and toss.

On Tuesday I ate:

  • Breakfast: Green smoothie of mango, banana, orange and collards.
  • Lunch: The rest of the smoothie.
  • Supper: A big bowlful of the above salad.
On Wednesday I had:

  • Breakfast: Green smoothie of apple, orange, banana, collards and Swiss chard.
  • Lunch: Lettuce wraps with romaine, cucumbers, carrots, avocado. Also a few green olives.
  • Supper: A heaping bowlful of the bok choy/broccoli salad.

No comments: