Sunday, May 24, 2009

Crazy Sexy Cancer


  • My husband and I went to see a showing of Crazy Sexy Cancer this afternoon. It is a movie about Kris Carr and her journey to a healthy life after being diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. It was powerful. It was moving. But more importantly, it gave me a new appreciation for my life and my health. Once again I have been brought back to a place of realizing just how precious life is.

    My husband and I went to a vegetarian restaurant afterwards and as I sat there across from him, I realized just how blessed our lives are. Neither one of us has cancer or any other serious illness. We have a home and a family who love us. We have 4 cats that remind us every minute we are home that they need us. Whatever problems we have just don't compare to what Kris Carr has been through. We should be really, really happy. We should be celebrating our love for each other and how good life has been to us. Instead we talk about the stress he is under at work and how to deal with it. We really need to change our lifestyles. We need to be appreciating every moment we are alive, well and happy.

    Another raw friend lost a kidney to cancer this week. She is back home and in good spirits, but her cheerful attitude belies the worry she went through prior to surgery. The threat of chemo and radiation probably took a year or two off her life.

    I need to think more about how good my life is instead of complaining about how slow my weight loss is or how the neighbor's dog wakes me up every morning. Thank God I can wake up in my own bed and hear that dog barking.

On Saturday I ate:

  • Breakfast: Muesli with cashews, walnuts, sunflower and chia seeds, raisins and goji berries, coconut flakes, banana, and apple with almond milk.
  • Lunch: Green smoothie with mango, orange, banana, kale, raw cacao, maca powder, spirulina, and flax seeds. (Felt I needed the super foods.)
  • Supper: Salad with arugula, mache, fennel, tomatoes, celery, red bell pepper, leeks and a lime, Dijon mustard, agave nectar, and olive oil dressing.
  • Snack: Kale chips.

On Sunday I ate:

  • Breakfast: Green smoothie with apple, orange, strawberries, peaches, mustard greens, mint and spinach. (It was clean out the fridge time!)
  • Lunch: A salad of mixed greens with a lemon/herb/olive oil dressing and mint tea.
  • Supper: Fresh corn mixed with some kim chi. (Odd combination, have no idea what inspired that!)

Photo: Kris Carr from her website: http://crazysexylife.com/about/

No comments: