Monday, May 18, 2009

It's Not Easy Being Green

People always ask how I stay raw when there are so many temptations around all the time. It is true, it isn't easy to stay raw, especially when it is not very well understood or accepted as being an extremely healthy lifestyle. But I have had a lot of support from a small community that I have built around me since before I went 100% raw. Through the miracle of the internet, I have been able to connect with other like-minded people, both in my area and in other states and countries. Generally we are such a small segment of the population that we stick pretty close together.

Today, however, I was shocked when one of the pillars of my community told me she was going to back out of a group that has been supporting each other for several months. She felt the computer time was just getting to be too much. I understand her reasons, and know that she will still be my friend and will continue to improve her health through a raw vegan lifestyle, but I don't think she knows just how much all of us have depended on her rock solid support.

This is the second time in the past couple of weeks that one of the people I have supported and depended on for my support has decided to withdraw. It leaves me feeling very alone and makes me realize how I need to continue to reach out to others.

It also reminds me of all the times when someone else depended on me for something and I have decided that I needed to go my own way. We go along in our lives and try to make the best decisions for ourselves that we can, and frequently we don't live up to someone's expectations when we decide to take another path. I am reminded, once again, that other people depend on me and look to me to keep my promises.



Kermit's tone seems just as lonely as I feel tonight.

On Sunday I had:
  • Breakfast: Green smoothie with mango, orange, banana, kale.
  • Lunch: The rest of the smoothie.
  • Supper: A salad with baby bok choy, baby broccoli, red bell pepper, Vidalia onion and a dressing of cilantro, lime juice, garlic, and olive oil.
  • Snack: A handful of cashews.

On Monday I had:

  • Breakfast: Green smoothie of mango, orange, banana, collards.
  • Lunch: More of yesterday's salad.
  • Supper: Zucchini spaghetti with and alfredo sauce of macademia and pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, Celtic sea salt and a few spices.

2 comments:

Friko said...

poor Karen, poor Kermit
but nothing worth having or being is ever easy, so like Kermit, say "it's good to be green"
Go your own way, girl, be true to yourself.
Good luck.

Karen Schlesinger said...

Thank you, Friko. You are so right. I am happy to report that the friend decided she really didn't want to go it alone afterall. She rejoined our group and the others never knew anything happened! But she surely threw me into a tail spin!