Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mediterranean Moods


My family all headed out the door early this morning to run their errands, so I enjoyed a leisurely day alone. At one time I might have been upset when my family didn't conform to my plans, but since I have been raw, I experience a much different attitude about how events go now. I feel like I have a lot of room for flexibility in my life and a much more generous attitude towards others. I am so much more relaxed about things and it is a quality I so admire in others. I am glad to discover it in my own nature.

It is the way I imagine people are in the Mediterranean countries....enjoying the company of others when they are present, and enjoying the solitude when they aren't. I have frequent day dreams about what life in Italy or Greece might be like. It is easy to forget that they suffer from the same stresses of everyday life we Americans do. But they do seem to have a more relaxed attitude towards life than we do.

I have a recipe for a Mediterranean Salad that I make frequently and never follow it exactly, but thought I would publish it here to share with anyone else who loves those flavors as much as I do.

Mediterranean Salad

2 - 3 big handfuls arugula, romaine, or spinach
1 small fennel, sliced
2 - 4 Heirloom tomatoes, red, yellow, etc.
1/2 red, green or yellow bell pepper, diced
1 T. capers
5-10 olives, black or green
Fresh basil, as much as you like (I like a lot!)
1/4-1/2 tsp. oregano
1 - 2 T. pinenuts
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt

Mix all but the last 3 ingredients into a large salad bowl. Combine the lemon juice, olive oil and sea salt in a mixing cup and whisk until blended. Add a little water if it is too tart for you. Pour over the salad and toss! You can also add chopped zucchini, Italian parsley, sunchokes, or any other vegetable you fancy to vary it. I frequently use different herbs or use garlic or onion powder to sprinkle on top.

Today I had:
  • Breakfast: Green smoothie with mango, orange, banana, collards
  • Lunch: Mediterranean Salad
  • Supper: A vegetable chowder with corn, carrots, red bell pepper, shallots, celery, parsley, cashews, and a green onion.

No comments: