Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Road Trip


A funeral called us to Louisville for the past couple of days and I certainly learned a few lessons about staying raw on a road trip! Despite my best efforts at planning and preparing foods to take along, I found myself staring down iceberg lettuce salads with nothing but table salt and pepper to jazz them up. At one point I sat in a parking lot behind the funeral home and gulped down a day-old smoothie I had brought along. NOT my preferred dining experience!

I also was confronted by all the SAD comfort food available at the wake. I know the hostess was trying very hard to be hospitable, but it wasn't even home-cooked food! It had all been ordered from a restaurant. What has happened to our society that we only want to eat food from restaurants that is cooked beyond all recognition?

On Tuesday I ate:
  • Breakfast: Green smoothie with mango, banana, oranges, ginger root, mint, spinach.
  • Lunch: Dehydrated veggies, almonds, clementines.
  • Supper: Restaurant salad of iceberg lettuce and a little bit of fruit with balsamic vinegar dressing. That was followed by a trip to a store for an avocado and pico de gallo that I mixed together in the hotel room.
Wednesday:
  • Breakfast: More of the same green smoothie.
  • Lunch: Another iceberg lettuce salad with cherry tomatoes, red onion, salt and pepper.
  • Snack: Cashews, crudites, and a couple of dried apricots.
  • Supper: Lettuce wraps with avocado, tomato, onion, cilantro, sprouts and romaine lettuce.

No comments: