Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Company & Cravings

I have had company for the past few days and things really got hectic. In trying to feed my guests, I was forced to be around more food than I typically would be. I had to shop for things I normally wouldn't buy, prepare food I no longer eat, and ate out twice at local restaurants. To challenge me further, the weather turned very cold again and I wanted warm food. The emotions of dealing with family members also brought out strong urges for comfort food. It seemed that every couple of hours I wanted to run and hide...from the food, the smells, the emotions, the stress, and most of all the cravings!

Monday night was the worst when everyone wanted to go to an Indian restaurant. I asked right up front if they could serve me a dish of raw vegetables. They produced a dish of mixed vegetables and asked if that was what I wanted. Yes, I told them, that is exactly what I wanted. But when they served the food, they gave me a bowl of steamed vegetables, which I promptly sent back. Then they came back with a bowl of "lightly blanched" vegetables. It was at that point that I realized that the waiter didn't speak enough English to understand the word "raw." I didn't want to make a scene or ruin everyone else's good experience, so I shut up and ate the vegetables. I also scraped the raw garnish off everyone's plate and ate that too.

I have decided that from now on, I will take my own food along to restaurants and not expect that they will have anything I want to eat. The only reason I would go to a restaurant any more is if I were going with other people, so I don't think anyone will be upset with my bringing my own food as long as I am discreet about it.

But the past few days have really set off cravings that made me question what I am doing. I was ready to throw in the towel several times and just go binge on some of my old favorites. But, I just kept eating more raw foods. I have no idea how many calories I have consumed over the past several days, but it is far more than I typically would have had. The cooked vegetables seemed to really trigger a desire for cooked foods and it has taken 48 hours to quell those cravings. I do not want to go through that again ever!

I didn't keep track of everything I ate over the last several days, but for today I had:
Breakfast: Ruby Red Ambrosia...juice of carrots, celery, lemon, apple, ginger root and a beet.
Lunch: A nori roll with avocado, lime juice, sea salt, spinach, carrots, and yellow pepper.
Supper: Salad with spinach, celery, yellow pepper, and an orange, with a dressing of lemon juice, Dijon mustard, agave nectar and olive oil.
Snack: Some power ball goo.

Body Flexed for the first time in 3 days today.

No comments: