Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Secrets to Living a Long Life


Tonight on CNN, Anderson Cooper's co-anchor, Erica Hill, had a short segment on the Secrets to Living a Long Life. Erica did an interview with Dan Buettner, author of The Blue Zones, from the Greek island of Ikaria where the people there routinely live well into their 90s. Tonight's installment focused on a man who is a Greek Orthodox priest in his village. He is in his 90s and attributes his longevity to a plant-based diet. Dan specifically talked about how the priest eats wild greens! He walked down the road and in the space of 5 feet, found 5 or 6 different plants that were growing wild that the priest eats. I think I'll keep up my foraging! Maybe I will move to a Greek island too! I bet that helps towards living a long, happy life.


While I have not read Mr. Buettner's book, I have been hearing about his study of long-lived communities around the world. It seems we can learn a lot about what constitutes good health from these people. You can find out your life expectancy by taking his survey at his Longevity Calculator. If I continue my current lifestyle, I can expect to live into my 90s.


Today I ate:
Breakfast: Ruby Red Ambrosia...juice of beet, carrot, celery, lemon, ginger root, and apple.
Lunch: Lettuce wraps with romaine, cucumber, carrots, and a little avocado.
Supper: Citrus Avocado Salad with romaine, pink grapefruit, orange, Mandarin orange, avocado, sprouts and a dressing of lemon juice, Dijon mustard, agave nectar and olive oil.
Snack: Raw flax seed cracker.
Did not do my Body Flex today. Joints are still very painful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Going! I did this too. I had to, the pain was terrible. It worked for me along with something called orthomolecular medicine (amino acid and nutrient therapy). I had spent 40 years eating processed food. It took its toll on my body. Now, I never even think about those foods. When I want something sweet I pour some honey over pears, eat some yogurt or a few pieces of dark chocolate. Life is good again! I can't commend you enough for taking charge of your health.

Karen Schlesinger said...

Thank you for "raining kisses" on my blog!
We absolutely MUST take charge of our own health if we are to be well and live happy, productive lives. I wish someone would have told me this 40 years ago! When we stop looking to the medical field to heal us, then we start to find what works for us individually. Then we listen to our bodies and feed them appropriately.