Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Reality Check


This week has gone by with lightning speed. There has been a lot crammed into the past 6 days and it is a sample of what I might be facing if and when I ever get back to work. I think about how I would live my life if I had a full time job. I can see where I would have to do some serious planning and be very disciplined to stay raw. I would also be exposed to a lot more SAD people and would find myself staring at cooked food a lot more often. I am very grateful that I have such a good start on this new lifestyle.
I am also beginning to realize how much I live in my own little bubble. My husband told me that he told one of our friends that I only eat raw now. The friend was horrified and thought that I must be miserable on such a restrictive diet. I am shocked at his reaction and am just now realizing that not everyone is going to see this as the ultimate healthy food plan.

It doesn't help when a local journalist writes an article in the local paper about eating raw and calls it "extremism." To me, running a marathon and skydiving are extreme, but a lot of people do it. I think it is a matter of perspective. When I was really sick, feeling badly, and thought I was going to die, THAT was extreme. Eating raw has been a miracle for me. It helps to keep things in perspective.

On Friday I ate:
Breakfast: A Larabar
Lunch: Lettuce wraps with cucumber, carrots and sprouts with some Nama Shoyu sauce.
Supper: A green salad with some foraged greens, mache, cucumber, tomato, celery, avocado and a dressing of lemon juice, Dijon mustard, agave nectar and olive oil.

On Saturday I ate:
Breakfast: Green smoothie of banana, apple, red grapes, and kale.
Lunch: Leftover salad, a piece of a flax seed flatbread, and a handful of cashews.
Supper: Nori rolls made with avocado, cauliflower, lime juice, sea salt, red bell peppers, carrots, and nori sheets.

Have continued to do my Body Flex.

No comments: