Saturday, February 7, 2009

Feeling better, but...

I felt much better today but still feel really tired. I read somewhere that during the first 3 weeks of being raw it is common to need more rest. Perhaps I shouldn't fight what my body is telling me it needs. I have a lifetime of not listening to my body, maybe this would be a good time to start!

This afternoon I stopped by a cousin's house to drop off some things and just noticed how much energy this 76 year old woman has. She takes care of her great grandson, still substitute teaches elementary school, and folk dances several times a week! I have never understood where she gets her energy from, but when I watch her eat I have to say she must be doing something right. She eats very little but seems to go more for fruits and vegetables. She eats cooked foods, but never very much. I have never seen her with any kind of fast food either. I will never have her bird-like appetite, but I would love to have her super-charged metabolism.

Today I ate:
Breakfast: Juice of one small beet, celery, 4 carrots, 1/2 lemon, 1 apple and ginger root.
Lunch: Citrus avocado salad with 1 pink grapefruit, 1 orange, 1 avocado, a whole head of romaine lettuce, a fistful of arugula, a couple of green onions and dressing made with lemon juice, agave nectar, mustard, and olive oil.
Supper: Salad with romaine lettuce and an "experimental dressing" of sunflower seeds, pecans, lemon juice, parsley, green onions and garlic all whipped up together with some sea salt and basil thrown in. It was just "okay."

I am turning in early tonight. I guess I need more sleep than I have been getting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen, can't sleep (4:08am), so at your suggestions, I'm going back to the beginning of your year to learn what you've been eating. WOW, delicious stuff and amazing raw. Man, what a will you have. VERY exciting, Karen! Could I make a green smoothy in my food processor? Can't swing for a VITAMIX now and burned up my blender:-( Risa

Karen Schlesinger said...

Hi Risa! I can't sleep either! You can try doing a smoothie in your food processor, but I'm not sure if it will blend as well. You would be better off finding another blender soon. Asvyou can see, smoothies are a mainstay of my diet.