Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Weekend

I never would have dreamed that I could maintain a raw vegan diet on a day like Valentine's Day, but I did! No chocolate truffles, no sugary sweet cupcakes, no candy hearts, no heart-shaped pans of brownies. I am thrilled that I have hopefully learned a lesson or two about how sick all that makes me.

In looking back over the past 16 days, I realize that I have also breezed through a family funeral with all the usual church-supper casserole dishes and eating out in restaurants. It seems that I have crossed over into a new world of being raw. I am not "trying" to be raw, I am raw! I plan my daily activities around whatever I need to do to manage my eating habits. I don't even think about it too much anymore. It has become much more of a routine for me now. I work around my family's cooked meals the best I can. I make a big salad they can eat, they save some raw vegetables for me. I still look at recipes and try to think of creative ways to plan meals for all of us, but I don't worry if we can't coordinate things. It really is okay if I just eat simple fruit and vegetables. A handful of nuts is a perfectly good snack. I have also decided that I don't have to explain to anyone about what I eat. I owe no one any explanations. I can walk into a restaurant with a container of my own food and just tell the waiter or waitress, that I am on a special diet. No one cares. Everyone else orders from the menu, so they make their money. Everyone's happy.

I suspect that I am eating way too many calories and grams of fat, but compared to what I used to eat this is very sustainable. At some point I might start tracking everything and make an attempt to control what I eat, but for right now I am pleased that I am maintaining a 100% raw vegan diet.

On Saturday I ate:

Breakfast: Green smoothie with 2 bananas, a pear, blueberries, spinach and a dash of cinnamon.

Lunch: Big green salad with a vinegar and oil dressing.

Supper: Zucchini spaghetti with "Alfredo" sauce...macadamia nuts, pine nuts, lemon, garlic, nutmeg and white pepper.

Snack: Some cashews and a couple of power balls.


On Sunday I ate: Breakfast: Ruby Red Ambrosia (juice of red beets, carrots, celery, apple, ginger and lemon.)
Lunch: Citrus Avocado Salad with pink grapefruit, an orange, 2 clementines, avocado, green onions, spinach and mache with a honey, lemon juice, agave nectar and mustard dressing.
Supper: Butternut Squash Soup made with a small butternut squash, carrots, onion, alfalfa sprouts, almonds, cumin, curry, ginger and water.
Snacks: Cashews and olives

No comments: