Saturday, February 28, 2009

Day 28

It has been 4 weeks now of being 100% raw, gluten and dairy-free! Wow. Determination and intention are powerful when effectively utilized together. Five weeks ago I was struggling to be raw. There was a point when I drew a line in the sand and simply stepped over it. There have been a few other times when I have done that and they all turned out to be life-changing decisions. This has turned out to be one that I sincerely desire to be a lifelong change.

I do want to comment on the use of the word "determination." Language so shapes our lives and I want to clarify how I am using this word. Many times we are "determined" to do something. We are indicating our resolve to do it. But being determined didn't help me. I was very determined to go raw, but just continued to be seduced by a lot of foods that undermined my intentions.

How I am using the word now, points to having made a decision to go raw. I determined, or rather decided that going raw was the right thing for me to do. I then decided that I had to do it for myself. I then made many decisions after that, like how I would do it and what foods I would eat. I wrote out some of my decisions on this blog and used them as a guide to making more decisions. Then I made daily decisions based on those decisions. It became a series of decisions rather than just stating my resolve to go raw.

Resolving to do things is easy....we just say the words. Deciding to do them is far more challenging. The decision making process requires a lot of thought and frequently research. One decision will lead to another and another.

It is through the decision making process that I arrived where I am now. There were decisions every step of the way and every single day. After I made the bigger decisions, the smaller ones became easier and easier. I believe this is probably how big changes are possible.

All these decisions have resulted in letting go of 11 lbs. in the past 4 weeks!

My decisions for today were:
Breakfast: BIG green smoothie with 2 bananas, 1 cup blueberries, an apple, a pear, a fistful of each parsley and spinach.
Lunch: The other half of the smoothie and some dehydrated veggie chips, which I don't think were the best.
Supper: Zucchini spaghetti with leftover tomato sauce with sun-dried tomatoes thrown in....much better than last night's sauce.

No comments: