Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Family Time

I had a few pithy things to say yesterday, but suddenly the internet connection was lost and so were my words. They weren't too important anyway.

I have been with my family for the past two days to bury another legendary figure in my family. Aside from the sadness of the loss, there was a lot of joy in seeing and meeting more of my cousins. I have been doing genealogy on this side of my family now for eight years and it was an opportunity to add a new generation or two to my records. One cousin surprised me with a few hundred letters dating back to 1920 that were written between my grandparents and their 12 children. Some were written to an uncle serving in the Army during World War I. I have a tremendous sense of gratitude and responsibility around these letters. I feel it is my duty to read these letters and then tell the story of their lives as it really happened. It is certainly a priveledge to glimpse their lives this way and see who they really were.

Today I had:
Breakfast: Power balls...as I raced out the door to drive 200 miles!
Lunch: A fruit salad and fresh veggies with another experimental dip made of pecans, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, lemon, basil and olive oil.
Supper: A big green smoothie with 2 bananas, a pear, an apple, and some collard greens.

No comments: