Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rainy Day Realizations

It has been cloudy and rainy today and I have been a little achy. My arthritis pain has been greatly diminished since I have gone raw. But as I took stock of some of the many changes that have happened in the past 27 days, I noted that I have not had any over-the-counter or prescription pain relievers during this time.

This is a huge milestone for me as Advil, Tylenol, Excedrin, Motrin, Nuprin, Aleve and every type of aspirin have been a part of my daily intake for several decades now.

I have also used several prescription drugs for pain as well, including Celebrex, Vicotin, Lortab, Percocet, Percodan, Oxycontin, Dilaudid, MS Contin, and hydrocodone. Granted, there were some good reasons for the prescription drugs (a couple of accidents and surgeries), but then I have to add the anesthesia and morphine to the list! Who knows what else I was given in the hospital?!! I wasn't very aware during those times.

In addition to all those drugs, there were also prescriptions for anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, anti-depressants, decongestants, blood pressure, and glaucoma. There have also been shots of hydro cortisone and several courses of prednisone.

With all those painkillers and other drugs, it's no wonder that I drank so much coffee to stay awake and function at a fast paced job. But then it frequently required the offsets of Tylenol PM and the like to get to sleep at night.

It's no wonder I had constant heartburn. A conservative estimate would be about 78,000+ Rolaids that I chomped down in the past 20 years. And yes, I tried other OTC and prescription remedies for that chronic ailment too.

Too bad I never invested in the drug companies. At least I would have had something to show for all the money spent on those drugs.

When I look back and take stock, I realize that 6 short months ago I was about as close to death as I could be and still wake up in the morning. It is a miracle that I am alive.

The past 20 years have not been easy either. The stresses of a divorce, caring for and losing sick family members and pets, job changes and losses, moves, accidents, illnesses and some other events too painful to mention, make me realize how resilient the human body and spirit are. I am lucky to be alive right now.

But more important, I am grateful to be raw. If 27 days can start to reverse 20 years of declining health and drug dependency, then maybe there is another life waiting for me to live.

Today I ate:
Breakfast: Power ball goo.
Lunch: Apple and a flax seed cracker (big one!)
Supper: Zucchini spaghetti with sauce of 4 roma tomatoes, 1/2 red pepper, 1/4 c. pine nuts, basil, garlic, sea salt.

No comments: