Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Making Changes

I have been thinking lately about how we make changes in our lives. There are many discussions on this topic and I don't pretend to have any new revelations here, but it seems we can't have too many tools in our back pocket for everything that comes our way that we wish to change.

There is a particular quote that has inspired me for many years. It is from W. H. Murray in The Scottish Himalaya Expedition, 1951.

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, the providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way.

I happen to agree with Mr. Murray, I think he hit the proverbial nail precisely on the head. I have noticed that once my mind is made up and I decide to commit to something that magical things begin to happen. Resources and circumstances seem to align with my purpose in ways that were not predictable.

But then other questions begin to form. How does one become committed? How is being committed different than just making a decision? Why is it that we can say we are committed and nothing changes? How can we make so many wrong choices and say we are committed when we really aren't?

Suffice it to say, I have laid awake many a night pondering these questions. The pondering started today when someone asked me how I do this. After all, today marks my 40th day of being 100% raw, gluten and dairy-free!

Today I had:
Breakfast: Green smoothie with apple, pear, peaches, banana, Swiss chard, and collards.
Lunch: "Corn chowder." (See recipe below.)
Supper: Big salad with endive, tomatoes, Vidalia onion, olives, celery, carrots, mushrooms and a dressing of lemon and lime juice, mustard, agave nectar and olive oil.

Corn Chowder (my own recipe) Serves 2

2 c. fresh or frozen corn, removed from the cob
1/3 c. cashews
1 green onion
1 c. almond milk or water
Sea salt to taste

Blend 1 cup of corn with the rest of the ingredients. Put the rest of the corn into bowls. Red or green peppers, or other chopped vegetables can be added for additional color and flavor. Pour liquid over the corn. Stir and enjoy.





No comments: