Friday, March 6, 2009

Old Habits

It amazes me just how fast we can return to old habits! They can creep up and grab you when you aren't looking and drag you down before you know what hit you.

I received some bad/sad news for a couple of days in a row and finally noticed what I was doing each time. On Wednesday, I was sitting at my desk, minding my own business, when the phone rang and I discovered some disturbing news. There was nothing I could do to change the situation, so I sat and thought about it for a few minutes. Suddenly I realized that I was hungry. So I went to the kitchen, made some power balls and promptly consumed them.

On Thursday, a similar situation occurred and I just made a beeline for the kitchen and whipped up another batch of power balls. It wasn't until I had eaten two of them before I realized what I was doing. I was stuffing my feelings. Again. Being raw hadn't changed that life-long pattern of eating to avoid feeling badly.

In this economy it seems there is bad news everyday and today was no exception. For the third straight day I picked up the phone to hear that someone really close had lost his job. The news was particularly upsetting as this man worked with my husband and the axe had fallen pretty close to home. I sat in shock at this news and noticed the urge to go eat emerge from the depths of my unconscious. As I realized the instantaneous hunger, I also realized how badly I really felt. I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream and shout, "It's not right! It's not fair! No, you can't do this to someone I care about!" They can and they did, and there wasn't anything I could do about it.

As I dissected my feelings about all this, I began to see how the pattern got set in place when I was very young. I had no control over the events in my life and food became my pacifier any time something happened that made me unhappy. The seeds of a compulsive overeater were set in place at a very young age and they have ruled my life for the better part of 58 years. Knowing this doesn't change anything. The lesson for me out of this is to always be vigilant. Never eat without knowing why I am eating.

As for all those sad feelings, I sat and pondered them for a while and then took the advice of my very wise buddy. I put them on a train and let them go.

On Thursday I had:
Breakfast: Green smoothie of mango, 2 bananas, 2 oranges and 3 big stalks of Swiss chard.
Lunch: Citrus Avocado Salad with 1/2 grapefruit, an orange, an avocado, spinach and spring mix and a dressing of lemon juice, olive oil and Celtic sea salt.
Emotional Comfort Food: Power balls.
Supper: Salad with romaine lettuce, red and yellow peppers, leeks and carrots with lemon juice, olive oil and Celtic sea salt.

Today I ate:
Breakfast: Green smoothie with mango, 2 bananas, a pear, an orange and lots of kale.
Lunch: The rest of the smoothie.
Supper: A less than ecstatic attempt at a raw pizza: portobella mushrooms, raw tomato sauce, olives, shallots, and a raw "cheese" made with cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, and water. It needs some work. I will post some pictures of it next time. It looked fabulous.

Final note...today is 5 weeks of 100% raw, gluten and dairy-free.

3 comments:

Karen Schlesinger said...

E-mail from Sherry:

Hi Karen, Just want to tell you how very proud I am of you. I read your recent post on your blog. You are so right on with having built a bad habit back in childhood to use food to comfort, numb & stuff the hurt & pain life throws in our direction. I am right there with you girlfriend. Having that light bulb moment & recognizing the urge to run to the cupboard is the step you need to get past it! NOW is the time to find a better alternative than food to get past the pain, hurt & confusion and not owning it! Allowing yourself to look at it & describe just what you are feeling, is a key to sending it packing without adding extra pounds & punishing yourself for something you have NO control over. It is okay to feel what you are feeling... make the time to get angry at it, speak to it, shout & cry... but don't hang onto it.. don't push it down with food only for it to come back again & again... After you've felt it & discribed it, let it go on that train. Because what we, and notice I say we, have been doing is when the feelings come up & we want to make it better, it is not in our power to do so.. we never learned how to let it go or not take responsibility for it.. food has been the drug of choice to push the feeling down & make us feel better or numb for the moment only until it pops back up again & again..or some other painful thing pops up ! Now as we learn how to eat what our bodies need to be feed to keep it healthy & happy we need to learn what it is to feel the discomforts of painful words & positions we will encounter daily & how to recognize them as what they are, not take them personally & let them go ..
What we do have control over is saying NO to the food & the stuff that makes us a slave to the past hurts & disappointments. NO more my dear friend .. do you notice how when something hurtful comes along it also has a way of opening old wounds too?
Well I have to give you a shout of praise! I am so proud of you. And a thank you for letting me see myself & what I am doing to myself too. This is all opening doors that I had NO idea would open ! and it is a very good thing. SHerrY

Irmagination said...

Karen,
Sorry about your day.

We have all been there. Life is what life is and we have to find a way to accept it (instead of trying to make it better with other stuff-like food) and just move on.

Whether we need to grieve, cry, be sad... Hey let's just do it without apologies and then when we are ready, "put them on a train" and move on.

Love and peace going out to you,

Irma

Karen Schlesinger said...

Hi Irma.
Thanks for your comment. I just wonder when am I going to be "over it?" What is it going to take for me not to make food my first step when I need comfort? I have been aware of this since my late 20's and it's still a knee-jerk reaction. I believe something besides behavior modification has to work! Maybe I'll address this with some spiritual healing. I don't know what else will have an impact.