Monday, March 9, 2009

Weekend Diversions

I have logged another successful weekend. Certain times seem to be a little more challenging to stay raw and weekends definitely rank in the top 3. Having the whole family home plus friends dropping by, makes me become more deliberate in my planning and eating.

Our social life has been really impacted by my raw venture. We no longer go out for coffee, meet for drinks or celebrate events at our favorite restaurants. Right now, with the economy being what it is, no one is complaining.

Saturday night we went to a showing at an art gallery and by the time we got there, the drinks and hors d'oeuvres were gone (or never existed, I'm not sure.) Normally this would have been followed by dinner out or drinks at a local hot spot. Instead we decided to drop in at our daughter's work place unannounced to say hi. She was working the night shift in labor and delivery at a local hospital. Hey! We know how to party!

All went well until we sat down to watch a rather somber movie (Sophie's Choice) on Sunday night. I am not sure if it was just the movie-watching habit to eat popcorn, or if it was wanting comfort food to numb what I knew was going to be an emotional reaction to the movie, but for the first time in 37 days, I had some fierce cravings. I finally settled on some power balls.

So now I realize that the power balls have become my new comfort food. I am not opposed to eating them if they curb real cravings, but to use them so often is not a good sign. Yes, they are keeping me raw, but they are very high in fat and I suspect they are slowing down my weight loss. I am going to pay attention to this situation and think about what I need to do or eat to satisfy myself without using these things as a crutch. Maybe time alone will sort that out. I have read that as a raw foodist, your tastes and appetite will evolve to a much better diet. I will look forward to that, but for now, I need to notice what is going on with me when these urges strike.

On Saturday I ate:

Breakfast: Some leftover mushroom stems and "cheese" sauce from Friday night.

Lunch: Nori rolls....avocado with lemon juice and sea salt, with a mixture of chopped carrots, red bell pepper, sprouts, and shallots; all rolled into a couple of sheets of nori seaweed and cut into sushi-like pieces.

Snack: a handful of cashews.

Supper: Zucchini spaghetti with tomato sauce, celery and olives.

Dessert: Apple with almond butter.

On Sunday I had:

Breakfast: Green smoothie with a pear, an apple, 2 bananas, and Swiss chard.

Lunch: Rest of the green smoothie.

Supper: Salad with romaine, spinach, celery, carrots, capers, black olives, jicama, avocado, with lemon juice, olive oil and sea salt.

Craving Killer: Power balls.

No comments: