Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sharon

My cousin, Sharon, called me today. She has Parkinson's disease and lives in another state. She is pretty isolated right now from her kids and grandkids, her siblings and the rest of the family. She was in one city for a long time after her husband took a job in another city. Since they weren't able to sell their house, she stayed behind alone. Now that it has dragged out to about a year and a half with the house still on the market, she has moved into an apartment with her husband and pets in their new city. It is better, but she is terribly lonely and calls her old friends and family frequently for moral support.

I have been totally shocked how this very intelligent, once very active, involved woman has managed to resist every bit of help that has been offered to her in terms of managing her disease. She still believes that one of her two neurological doctors will find the right combination of drugs that will make everything right again. She is wallowing in self pity and is crying for attention. Just talking with her is very frustrating as there are always distractions and interruptions in the conversation....the dog barking, another phone call, etc. She doesn't really listen to you when you do talk to her. It has taken me a long time to get to a point of saying that I need to give up on her or confront her in a big intervention kind of way. I feel sorry for her, but my pity isn't going to help her.

In confronting this situation, I realize how many people there are just like her. They are sick and could be doing something/a lot of things to help themselves, but don't. It is like they are children crying out for attention. "Look at me, I am sick. I can't do that. I'm helpless. Feel sorry for me. Give me love. Give me attention." What do you do to help people like that? When straight talk doesn't make a difference, what do you say? Keep this up and you'll die?!!! Just what is our responsibility when being our brother's keeper means your efforts are rebuffed?

I am going to make my first attempt at some remote spiritual healing ala Fred Payne. Divine intervention may be the only way to save Sharon's life. Short of telling her to go eat an apple and call me in the morning, this seems like the only thing I can do.

Today I ate:
Breakfast: Green smoothie with blueberries, banana, apple, pear and kale.
Lunch: The rest of the smoothie.
Supper: Nori rolls with red bell pepper, zucchini, carrot, sprouts, cauliflower, avocado, and lemon juice.
Snack: Some power ball goo.

Did my Body Flex today.

2 comments:

Friko said...

Don't be too hard on your cousin. I've learned the hard way that in serious cases of illness one must use all means available. Alternative, complementary and established remedies helped me through kidney failure, endometrial cancer, a thyroid lump and pulmonary emboli. A positive attitude helps too. I am well now and hope to remain so for a long time to come.

Karen Schlesinger said...

Good for you, Friko. Overcoming serious illness is something that has to be approached from every angle. Having a positive attitude can mean the difference between life and death. We have to choose life or let go. That is what my cousin is missing and that's what really bothers me. She has also rejected any alternative methods for dealing with her disease. It is so hard to watch someone you love suffer so much.